Victorian Premier Denis Napthine, Minister for Public Transport Terry Mulder, Member for Mitcham and Liberal candidate for Ringwood Dee Ryall and Minister for the Environment and Member for Warrandyte Ryan Smith were on hand to officially launch the start of works.
The project is expected to be complete in early 2016 and includes:
- a major upgrade of Ringwood Station to provide full accessibility and improve amenity and shelter;
- a pedestrian concourse providing 24-hour access over the railway line;
- stairs, ramps, lifts and an escalator to provide access to the platforms and concourse;
- preservation of the heritage-listed station buildings with upgrades to allow continued use;
- reconstruction and expansion of the bus interchange;
- new toilet facilities and waiting rooms;
- creation of a landscaped station forecourt;
- improved safety with additional lighting and CCTV;
- a new signalised pedestrian crossing of Maroondah Highway, with more frequent crossing opportunities;
- vastly improved pedestrian and cycling facilities along the Maroondah Highway and Station Street; and
- improvements to the road environment to create a 'boulevard' between Ringwood Street and Warrandyte Road.