Regional Rail Link (City to Maribyrnong River)
Regional Rail Link was Australia’s largest public transport infrastructure project and Melbourne’s first new major rail line in 80 years. It expanded Victoria’s rail network to move more Victorians to more places, more often.
The City to Maribyrnong River works between Southern Cross Station and Hopkins Street, Footscray were delivered by an alliance consisting of V/Line, Metro Trains Melbourne, AECOM, Lend Lease, Coleman Rail, GHD, John Holland and the Regional Rail Link Authority.
The works included:
- Laying two new tracks over 4.5 kilometres to separate metropolitan and regional trains
- Construction of a new rail overpass over the Maribyrnong River and a rail flyover to take the regional rail tracks over the top of the Werribee line between the Maribyrnong River and Hopkins Street, Footscray
- Major bridge modifications at Dynon Road and Lloyd Street
- A new twin track rail bridge over Dudley Street in West Melbourne
- Extensive track reconfiguration between La Trobe Street and North Melbourne, including an upgrade of the North Melbourne rail-over-rail flyover, which will provide grade separated access across the suburban rail tracks from the regional platforms 1-8 at Southern Cross Station
- Upgrading of some sections of the signalling system in the area between South Kensington and Southern Cross Station
- Architectural, urban design and landscape treatments along targeted sections of the rail corridor.
The complex rail environment, surrounded by Melbourne’s CBD and inner west, required the careful management of heritage, environmental and community concerns. The team excelled and was subsequently presented the award for Excellence in Community Engagement.
- 2014 National Infrastructure Project of The Year – National Infrastructure Awards 2014
- 2014 Australasian Rail Awards – Winner of the Innovation and Technology category
- 2014 Premier’s Sustainability Award in the Infrastructure and Buildings category
- 2014 Regional Rail Link Authority – Overall Project Excellence Award
- 2014 Regional Rail Link Authority – Community and Stakeholder Engagement Excellence Award
- 2014 Regional Rail Link Authority – Engineering Excellence Award