Mernda Rail Extension
A team consisting of John Holland, KBR and Metro Trains Melbourne (Metro) are undertaking work for the Mernda Rail Extension project on behalf of the Victorian Government and the Level Crossing Removal Authority.
This project is part of the Victorian Government’s commitment to upgrade and improve rail lines across metropolitan Melbourne.
The Victorian government is extending the South Morang train line to Mernda to cater for the significant population growth in Melbourne's north.
The Mernda Rail Extension Project will include:
• Approximately eight kilometres of new dual rail line between South Morang Station and Mernda.
• Five grade separations, guaranteeing no level crossings will be created.
• A new premium station in Mernda, integrated into the proposed Mernda Town Centre.
• An additional station located near Marymede Catholic College and one near Hawkstowe Parade.
• Car parking, bicycle storage and bus facilities at each station.
• Construction of new walking and cycling paths in areas to extend and link into existing paths and future networks such as the Yan Yean Trail.
Extending the rail line will bring significant benefits to the community, including:
• Providing more local transport services to meet the needs of one of Victoria’s fastest growing areas.
• Connecting the community to work, study, healthcare, shopping and entertainment both locally and into the city.
• Improving travel around Melbourne – whether you're a train user, pedestrian, cyclist or driver.
• Ensuring people get home safer and faster.
• Stimulating economic growth by creating jobs during construction.